Friday, October 12, 2012

October 12, 2012

5th and 6th Graders will bring their iPads home on Monday, October 15, 2012.  Please have a charger and a routine for charging and storage of iPad at home.  Also it is a good idea to talk about your rules at home for the iPad.  Remind the students that it belongs to the school and is a tool for learning.

Conferences

Fall conferences are scheduled for October 25, 30, and November 1. I will be conferencing with students in my 1st hour science class (5th graders) and a few 6th graders.  All students on my conference list were given a blue form in their last Friday folder for you to select a date and time range for me to schedule your conference.  Please return this form or email me the best time range that works for you.  I will send home a confirmation slip once I've scheduled most conferences.

A few students needed a second slip.  I put it in their Friday Folder today.  If you returned your time selection this week you should see a time confirmation slip in (10/12/12) Friday folder.  

5th graders will begin an investigation on catapults this week.  The final project for this is to build a catapult which will launch a candy pumpkin.  We will have our version of Pumpkin Chunkin' on October 31. More information is under the 5th grade tab.

Our next Dodge Nature Center Trip for fifth graders is on Thursday, October 25, 2012.  More information to follow.

6th graders will be working on an engineering project that follows the Technological Design Process. Their task is to design and construct a chair out of cardboard.  More information is under the 6th grade tab.

Remember there is no school on October 18-19 for the Education Minnesota conference.  I will also be out on Monday, October 15th due to a science department meeting.